Need a place to take the family that’s easy on the wallet or to have a quick bite if dad or mom has to work late? Many places offer kids’ nights where children eat free or for a discounted price. Programs can change, so call before you head out.
Family Friendly Dining Picks
If you want to keep the kitchen clean (for a little while anyway), you can find numerous family/kid-friendly places to eat where you can be yourselves without worrying about offending other diners with loud conversation or wandering children. Here are some of our favorites:
- To play and eat, head to Chick-fil-A for indoor play or Sonic for outdoor play.
- For home cooking, check out the Pik N Pig in Carthage for barbeque and watch the airplanes take off and land.
- Looking for Mexican, then head to Los Cabos in Aberdeen. For a fast bite, head to Moe’s in Aberdeen where kids eat free with purchase of adult entrée from 5pm-9pm on Tuesdays!
- Valenti’s in Vass is worth the trip just to watch the kids roll out the dough and make their own pizzas. (Don’t forget your camera!)
- Both Pinehurst Pizza and Bob’s Pizza both offer impressive arcade areas for kids to play while waiting for their pizza. At Brixx Woodfired Pizza in Southern Pines kids play can play with play dough and have it cooked it in fun shapes. A chalk board wall is also available.
- Downtown Southern Pines has no shortage of pizzerias- check out So Pies and Vitos for your next family pizza night!
- For a quickie, Subway offers kids’ packs with side options like apples and yogurt for a healthier meal.
- Looking for something new? Kickback Jacks is open for lunch and dinner in Southern Pines and offers a kids menu as well as outdoor putt putt golf.
- Standby chains like Outback Steakhouse, Lone Star Steakhouse, Texas Road House, and Chili’s Grill & Bar offer childrens’ menus (some also offer kids eat free nights), so the kids can indulge in their choice of meal while you savor you enjoy a meal out.
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! After a good family meal, there’s nothing better than a sweet treat. Try out a few of these local, kid friendly favorites.
- In Carthage, head to Two Scoops, where they offer seasonal homemade ice cream loaded with fresh local strawberries, peaches or blueberries. Is chocolate your favorite? They have a variety of Hershey’s ice cream as well. If you need a quick bite before dessert, Winston’s Scoop & Deli is your one-stop shop in Carthage.
- For a similar homemade experience, head west on Hwy 211 past Seven Lakes and Eagle Springs to Ben’s Ice Cream, part of the Kalawi Farm. There you will find seasonal homemade ice cream loaded with fresh locally grown fruit and a bountiful produce stand. It’s definitely worth the drive.
- Looking for something decadent? Swing by Cold Stone Creamery in Aberdeen for a make-your-own experience.
- The Ice Cream Parlor in Southern Pines has been scooping ice cream and making floats for kids for years and offers homemade sandwiches and soup, too.
If you’re going out to eat, don’t forget your SandhillsKids card and let your favorite restaurant know to call us if they don’t already sponsor and offer a discount to our members!